Supports the Michigan-Pittsburgh-Wyss Regenerative Medicine Resource Center, specifically the CCL-22 project team.
DDS candidate at the University of Michigan
University of Michigan
Conducts independent research on non-carious cervical lesions
Education and Experience
Rodrigo is a DDS candidate at the University of Michigan and founder of the Michigan Dental Device Club. Currently, he supports the University of Pittsburgh's sciVelo team as a Commercial Translation Associate and conducts independent research on non-carious cervical lesions. Rodrigo received an MS in Medical Device and Diagnostic Engineering from the University of Southern California, a BSE in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Michigan, and a Certificate in Entrepreneurship from the University of Michigan. Prior to dental school, Rodrigo worked in product development, market research, and tech transfer. Rodrigo is devoted to innovating within the fields of dental, oral and craniofacial medicine and welcome conversations with his peers in these fields.
DDS, University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Expected 2023
MS, Medical Device and Diagnostic Engineering, University of Southern California, August 2017
BSE, Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, April 2016
Certificate in Entrepreneurship, University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, April 2016
Independent Researcher, University of Michigan School of Dentistry Department of Biological and Materials Sciences & Prosthodontics Supervisor: Geoffrey Gerstner, DDS, MS, PhD
Research Assistant, University of Michigan School of Dentistry and Stamps School of Art & Design Department of Cariology, Restorative Sciences & Endodontics Supervisor: Elisabeta Karl, DDS, MS, PhD
Clinical Research Assistant, U-M Frankel Cardiovascular Center Department of Pediatric Cardiology Supervisor: Martin Bock, MD
Research Assistant, University of Michigan College of Engineering & Medical School Department of Biomedical Engineering Supervisor: C. Alberto Figueroa, PhD
Rangel, R. & Theoharis, T. (2021). Accelerating dental innovation by applying lessons learned from leaders in dental technology companies and education: a perspective. Manuscript accepted for publication, School of Dentistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Commercial Translation Experience
Michigan Dental Device Club
Founder and President
Founded a student organization focused on educating dental professionals on the basics of product development, intellectual property, and FDA regulations by modeling the Stanford Biodesign process.
University of Southern California Department of Biomedical Engineering
Set up strategic, multidisciplinary partnership meetings between USC research faculty.
Analyzed USC technology transfer portfolio holdings and market environment.
USC Stevens Center for Innovation
Reviewed scientific literature and patents of physical science technologies.
Authored one-page marketing documents catered towards non-technical backgrounds.
University of Michigan Department of Biomedical Engineering
Clinical Peer Mentor Fellowship
Selected as one of two inaugural fellows out of 30 applicants.
Refined 60+ medical device ideas into 3 senior engineering capstone projects and consulted senior design teams on initial designed as a project liaison.
Marketing Intern, Roche Tissue Diagnostics
Created internal marketing toolkit to train salesforce on Roche cervical cancer products.
Assessed reimbursement and healthcare policy changes in Brazil and China.
Below are the three areas you need to edit in order to place a new staff profile on the homepage, in the staff profile landing page, and the full staff bio page. These instructions are hidden and will not show up on the public profile page. You can, however, delete this box when you no longer need these instructions.
I - Create a new Staff Profile page
1. Go to Posts and click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name and degrees in the “Enter Title Here” field
3. Scroll down to the Muffin Builder section
4. Click on "Templates"
5. Select: "New Staff Profile Template"
6. Select: "REPLACE current builder content"
7. Click: "Use Template"
8. Update content within each Item accordingly. Anything within (parenthesizes) should be updated.
9. Scroll to the LAYOUT section and choose the following options to maintain the appearance of the page and navigation:
a. Switch "Hide The Content" button to ON
b. For Layout, choose "Right Sidebar"
c. For Sidebar, select "Meet Our Translators"
10. Under Categories, choose the appropriate staff role.
11. Click Publish when finished.
II - Add new Offer to appear on "Meet the Team" on homepage
1. Under "Offer", click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name in the “Enter Title Here” field.
3. Copy/paste the content from the Body Copy area of another offer into this offer and update accordingly. This will guarantee you get the same look and feel.
4. Choose the appropriate category based on job title.
5. Add the person’s headshot under “Featured Image” and make sure the background is transparent (.png)
6. Update the Post Attribute Order field to keep with the alphabetical order. You will need to view the list of offers to determine the appropriate Order attribute to assign. You will then need to update all the subsequent offers so they continue with the appropriate order.
7. Hit Publish.
III - Add new profile to Meet the Team landing page
This content will need to be added manually and does not pull from other areas on the site, like the homepage or staff profile pages. You'll need to copy/paste the following code into the appropriate area and update it with the new staff member's information.
Stage location: http://stage.scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/
Production location: http://scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/