Commercial translation of University of Pittsburgh Health Sciences drug discovery research portfolios
Office of the Dean
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Education and Experience
Ray serves as the program manager for drug discovery at sciVelo where he supports the commercial translation strategy of the Pitt Health Sciences drug discovery research portfolio. Prior to joining sciVelo, while obtaining his MD at the University of Pittsburgh, he conducted patient education research at Pitt Neurosurgery. As a student entrepreneur, he was awarded in multiple pitch competitions and hackathons, including 2nd prize at IBM Blue Hack. During medical school, he co-founded his startup, Labkind, a web-based platform for cross-disciplinary collaboration among science research labs. Prior to his medical education, Ray engineered human stem cells at Columbia University and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). He is a co-inventor of a methodology to genomically edit human neural stem cells. As an innovator, he is interested in designing and implementing solutions using software and computational technologies, most recently as a full-stack web and mobile developer. Outside of academia, Ray has lifelong passions for global humanitarian disaster intervention, violin, and scuba diving.
M.D. Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, 2020
Graduate Foundations Certificate, Columbia University, 2015
B.S. Cell and Molecular Biology, West Chester University, 2012
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pittsburgh Supervisor: Robert M. Friedlander, MD
Patient Education and Engagement Through Multimedia: Prospective Pilot Study on Health Literacy in Patients with Cerebral Aneurysms
School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Supervisor: Arpan Prabhu, MD
A National WestLaw Next Database Analysis of Malpractice Litigation in Radiation Oncology
Columbia Stem Cell Core Facility, Columbia University Supervisor: Barbara Corneo, PhD
Stem Cell Core Facility: Production of Motor Neurons and Cardiomyocytes
Center for Regenerative Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Supervisor: Mahendra Rao, MD, PhD
Engineering of Neural Stem Cells for Therapeutic Application
Transcription Activator-like Effector Nuclease (TALEN)-mediated CLYBL Targeting Enables Enhanced Transgene Expression and One-step Generation of Dual Reporter Human induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPSC) and Neural Stem Cell (NSC) Lines
Department of Biology, West Chester University Supervisor: Gregg Phares, PhD
RNAi Knockdown of Male Mating Behavior in Pond Snail Lymnaea stagnalis
Commercial Translation Experience
BHI Commercialization Consulting Club
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Engineering neural stem cells using homologous recombination
US Patent No. WO2015073867A1
Malik N, Rao M, Zhou J, Funahashi R
- 2nd prize - IBM Blue Hackathon 2018 - Team Leader
- 2nd prize - Children's Hospital Hackathon for Hope 2018 - Team Leader
- 2nd prize - StartUp PittBlitz 2016 - Team Leader
- 4th prize - Randall Big Idea Competition 2016 - Team Leader
- Blast Furnace University of Pittsburgh Accelerator (2016 cohort)
- IdeaFoundry Accelerator (2017 - 2018)
CEO — LabKind Project (2014 - 2020) — Pittsburgh, USA
Below are the three areas you need to edit in order to place a new staff profile on the homepage, in the staff profile landing page, and the full staff bio page. These instructions are hidden and will not show up on the public profile page. You can, however, delete this box when you no longer need these instructions.
I - Create a new Staff Profile page
1. Go to Posts and click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name and degrees in the “Enter Title Here” field
3. Scroll down to the Muffin Builder section
4. Click on "Templates"
5. Select: "New Staff Profile Template"
6. Select: "REPLACE current builder content"
7. Click: "Use Template"
8. Update content within each Item accordingly. Anything within (parenthesizes) should be updated.
9. Scroll to the LAYOUT section and choose the following options to maintain the appearance of the page and navigation:
a. Switch "Hide The Content" button to ON
b. For Layout, choose "Right Sidebar"
c. For Sidebar, select "Meet Our Translators"
10. Under Categories, choose the appropriate staff role.
11. Click Publish when finished.
II - Add new Offer to appear on "Meet the Team" on homepage
1. Under "Offer", click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name in the “Enter Title Here” field.
3. Copy/paste the content from the Body Copy area of another offer into this offer and update accordingly. This will guarantee you get the same look and feel.
4. Choose the appropriate category based on job title.
5. Add the person’s headshot under “Featured Image” and make sure the background is transparent (.png)
6. Update the Post Attribute Order field to keep with the alphabetical order. You will need to view the list of offers to determine the appropriate Order attribute to assign. You will then need to update all the subsequent offers so they continue with the appropriate order.
7. Hit Publish.
III - Add new profile to Meet the Team landing page
This content will need to be added manually and does not pull from other areas on the site, like the homepage or staff profile pages. You'll need to copy/paste the following code into the appropriate area and update it with the new staff member's information.
Stage location: http://stage.scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/
Production location: http://scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/