Leads project teams in sciVelo’s Digital Health theme through the commercial translation process
Clinical Content Analyst
Manages and develops medical content of clinical decision support software tools
Education and Experience
Karen is a Clinical Content Analyst at Via Oncology, an Elsevier Company. She builds relationships with key opinion leaders in academic and community medical centers across the country to drive to evidence-based consensus on optimal standards of care for cancer patients and translates these verdicts into decision support software tools. She is also actively involved in the leadership of the Pittsburgh chapter of Women in Bio and works to plan professional development and networking events throughout the year. She is passionate about improving patient outcomes and supporting the professional and personal development of her peers. Previously, Karen served as Chief Operating Officer at Fourth River Solutions, a not-for-profit STEM consulting group, and helped local entrepreneurs solve business problems. Her academic research career focused on cell-cell interactions in the brain and their role in memory formation, lactation, osmotic regulation, neurodegeneration, and the tumor microenvironment. Karen holds two PhDs in molecular neurobiology from the Vrije University Amsterdam and the University of Bordeaux and completed her postdoctoral training in the Department of Neurology at the University of Pittsburgh in 2017.
Postdoctoral training, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh
PhD, Molecular Neurobiology, Vrije University Amsterdam
PhD, Molecular Neurobiology, University of Bordeaux
Master of Research, Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Groningen
BS, Biopsychology, Eckerd College
Postdoctoral Research Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh
Examined the roles of sodium-proton exchanger (NHE1) and sodium-potassium-chloride cotransporter (NKCC1) in the modulation of tumor malignancy in both microglia and glioma cells.
Graduate ResearchGraduate Student Researcher, Department of Molecular Neurobiology, University of Bordeaux and Vrije University Amsterdam
Utilized mass spectrometry and behavioral assays to identify astrocyte proteins involved in synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus and supraoptic nucleus.
Graduate Student Researcher, Charité Berlin
Conducted conditional ablation of microglia using transgenic mice to examine microglia-mediated changes in neurogenesis associated gene expression in the mouse hippocampus under environmental enrichment.
Graduate Student Researcher, Research School of Behavioral and Cognitive Neurosciences, University of Groningen
Induced two common single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) into UTF1, a gene involved in proper stem cell differentiation, and assessed effects on protein functionality.
Undergraduate ResearchUndergraduate Student Researcher, Department of Biopsychology, Eckerd College
Combined techniques of overexpression and RNAi directed at the MAP protein tau in C. elegans to model the neurodegeneration seen in Alzheimer’s disease.
Commercial Translation Experience
Performs customer discovery and validation of new software tools
Fourth River SolutionsChief Operating Officer, Project Manager, and Consultant
Worked to develop business plan to bring new medical device to market including market sizing, competitive analysis, patent landscape, regulatory hurdles, reimbursement, and practical exit strategies.
Below are the three areas you need to edit in order to place a new staff profile on the homepage, in the staff profile landing page, and the full staff bio page. These instructions are hidden and will not show up on the public profile page. You can, however, delete this box when you no longer need these instructions.
I - Create a new Staff Profile page
1. Go to Posts and click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name and degrees in the “Enter Title Here” field
3. Scroll down to the Muffin Builder section
4. Click on "Templates"
5. Select: "New Staff Profile Template"
6. Select: "REPLACE current builder content"
7. Click: "Use Template"
8. Update content within each Item accordingly. Anything within (parenthesizes) should be updated.
9. Scroll to the LAYOUT section and choose the following options to maintain the appearance of the page and navigation:
a. Switch "Hide The Content" button to ON
b. For Layout, choose "Right Sidebar"
c. For Sidebar, select "Meet Our Translators"
10. Under Categories, choose the appropriate staff role.
11. Click Publish when finished.
II - Add new Offer to appear on "Meet the Team" on homepage
1. Under "Offer", click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name in the “Enter Title Here” field.
3. Copy/paste the content from the Body Copy area of another offer into this offer and update accordingly. This will guarantee you get the same look and feel.
4. Choose the appropriate category based on job title.
5. Add the person’s headshot under “Featured Image” and make sure the background is transparent (.png)
6. Update the Post Attribute Order field to keep with the alphabetical order. You will need to view the list of offers to determine the appropriate Order attribute to assign. You will then need to update all the subsequent offers so they continue with the appropriate order.
7. Hit Publish.
III - Add new profile to Meet the Team landing page
This content will need to be added manually and does not pull from other areas on the site, like the homepage or staff profile pages. You'll need to copy/paste the following code into the appropriate area and update it with the new staff member's information.
Stage location: http://stage.scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/
Production location: http://scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/