Supports sciVelo-CHP by assisting investigators in constructing invention disclosures and creating a portfolio for funding opportunities
Bioengineering with focus in Medical Product Engineering (MS-MPE)
University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering
Conducts research in medical device product development
Education and Experience
Charles is currently a MS student in Medical Product Engineering in the Department of Bioengineering at the University of Pittsburgh. Charles obtained a BS in Biochemistry from the University of Pittsburgh in 2019. During his time as an undergraduate, Charles conducted biochemistry research in several different labs. One of his research projects was focused on investigating the effectiveness of lab-made compounds to improve the anticonvulsant activity of enaminones using the model organism C. elegans. His research efforts allowed him to obtain a 1st-place oral presentation at the Tri-Beta Conference at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. During his first year as a MS student, Charles has been involved in several projects to create medical device product concepts to help various patient populations (wheelchair clients, kidney stone patients, children, etc.). Charles is interested in pursuing a career in medical product development.
MS, Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, expected 2020
BS, Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, 2019
Undergraduate Capstone Research, Department of Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
Supervisor: Olivia Long, PhD
Conducted laboratory experiments testing the effectiveness and toxicity of enaminones in treating seizure symptoms using Caenorhabditis elegans while also testing their toxicity
Collected data on the effect of enaminones in reducing seizure symptoms
Presented research at Tri-Beta Conference held at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
Undergraduate Research, Department of Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
Supervisor: Matthew Luderer, PhD.
Successfully synthesized beta-enaminones in aqueous media
Commercial Translation Experience
Course: Clinical Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh
Investigated the surgical protocols for determining the precise location and placement of an endotracheal tube in intubated patients without the use of x-ray
Course: Medical Product Development, University of Pittsburgh
Researched the FDA clearance process for a concept to help craniosynostosis patients without the need for an additional spring removal procedure
Course: Medical Product Ideation, University of Pittsburgh
Conducted market analysis on powered wheelchairs in order to increase patient compliance with powered seating functions (tilt, recline, etc.) and reduce pressure ulcer incidence
Course: Managing Medical Product Research and Development, University of Pittsburgh
Assisted in the development of a design concept that can efficiently remove kidney stones in order to reduce operating time and number of operations required
Below are the three areas you need to edit in order to place a new staff profile on the homepage, in the staff profile landing page, and the full staff bio page. These instructions are hidden and will not show up on the public profile page. You can, however, delete this box when you no longer need these instructions.
I - Create a new Staff Profile page
1. Go to Posts and click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name and degrees in the “Enter Title Here” field
3. Scroll down to the Muffin Builder section
4. Click on "Templates"
5. Select: "New Staff Profile Template"
6. Select: "REPLACE current builder content"
7. Click: "Use Template"
8. Update content within each Item accordingly. Anything within (parenthesizes) should be updated.
9. Scroll to the LAYOUT section and choose the following options to maintain the appearance of the page and navigation:
a. Switch "Hide The Content" button to ON
b. For Layout, choose "Right Sidebar"
c. For Sidebar, select "Meet Our Translators"
10. Under Categories, choose the appropriate staff role.
11. Click Publish when finished.
II - Add new Offer to appear on "Meet the Team" on homepage
1. Under "Offer", click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name in the “Enter Title Here” field.
3. Copy/paste the content from the Body Copy area of another offer into this offer and update accordingly. This will guarantee you get the same look and feel.
4. Choose the appropriate category based on job title.
5. Add the person’s headshot under “Featured Image” and make sure the background is transparent (.png)
6. Update the Post Attribute Order field to keep with the alphabetical order. You will need to view the list of offers to determine the appropriate Order attribute to assign. You will then need to update all the subsequent offers so they continue with the appropriate order.
7. Hit Publish.
III - Add new profile to Meet the Team landing page
This content will need to be added manually and does not pull from other areas on the site, like the homepage or staff profile pages. You'll need to copy/paste the following code into the appropriate area and update it with the new staff member's information.
Stage location: http://stage.scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/
Production location: http://scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/