Supports the development and execution of sciVelo marketing plans to increase visibility and awareness within the University
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Researches the development of systemic tumor therapy for targeting metastatic cancers
Education and Experience
Ceren moved to Pittsburgh from Istanbul, Turkey in 2011 as a visiting scholar at the University of Pittsburgh, working on a joint project with Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). She then joined the PhD program in Biological Sciences at CMU. During her doctoral studies, Ceren worked on molecular pathways associated with musculoskeletal disorders. She discovered novel interactions that involved mechanisms of immunoregulatory neuropeptides, which have clinical significance in orthopedics and sports medicine. During her time at CMU, Ceren co-led the Mellon FIT initiative and served as a team officer for three years. The MellonFIT team raised more than $30K to build a facility to offer group exercise classes that encouraged healthy living at the workplace. MellonFIT has since developed into a student club at the university. Additionally, Ceren served as a teaching assistant within the CMU Biological Sciences High School Outreach program. She has also volunteered for Bridge to Turkey Fund to support education of socio-economically disadvantaged children in Turkey, and Women In Bio Communications and Programming Committees. In August 2017, Ceren joined the lab of Joseph C. Glorioso at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine as a postdoctoral associate. Her postdoctoral work focuses on antigenically stealthed oncolytic vectors targeted to tumor tissue that aim to enable effective systemic treatment of metastatic cancers.
PhD research, Department of Biological Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University Advisor: Phil Campbell, PhD
Designed and conducted research focused on molecular mechanisms associated with immunoregulation of musculoskeletal tissue repair
Ceren Tuzmen, Konstantinos Verdelis, Lee Weiss, Phil Campbell. Crosstalk between substance P and calcitonin gene-related peptide during heterotopic ossification in murine Achilles tendon, The Journal of Orthopaedic Research, December 11, 2017
Ceren Tuzmen, Phil Campbell. Crosstalk between neuropeptides SP and CGRP in regulation of BMP2-induced bone differentiation, Twelfth International Conference on the Chemistry and Biology of Mineralized Tissues Conference Proceedings, May 10, 2018
MS research, Graduate Program in Computational Science and Engineering, Koc University Advisor: Burak Erman, PhD
Applied mathematical and biophysical models to develop a computational tool that identifies ligand binding sites in 29 out of 30 proteins
Ceren Tuzmen, Burak Erman. Gaussian Network Model Analysis of Proteins and Identification of Ligand Binding Sites, PlosOne, December 31, 2010
Below are the three areas you need to edit in order to place a new staff profile on the homepage, in the staff profile landing page, and the full staff bio page. These instructions are hidden and will not show up on the public profile page. You can, however, delete this box when you no longer need these instructions.
I - Create a new Staff Profile page
1. Go to Posts and click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name and degrees in the “Enter Title Here” field
3. Scroll down to the Muffin Builder section
4. Click on "Templates"
5. Select: "New Staff Profile Template"
6. Select: "REPLACE current builder content"
7. Click: "Use Template"
8. Update content within each Item accordingly. Anything within (parenthesizes) should be updated.
9. Scroll to the LAYOUT section and choose the following options to maintain the appearance of the page and navigation:
a. Switch "Hide The Content" button to ON
b. For Layout, choose "Right Sidebar"
c. For Sidebar, select "Meet Our Translators"
10. Under Categories, choose the appropriate staff role.
11. Click Publish when finished.
II - Add new Offer to appear on "Meet the Team" on homepage
1. Under "Offer", click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name in the “Enter Title Here” field.
3. Copy/paste the content from the Body Copy area of another offer into this offer and update accordingly. This will guarantee you get the same look and feel.
4. Choose the appropriate category based on job title.
5. Add the person’s headshot under “Featured Image” and make sure the background is transparent (.png)
6. Update the Post Attribute Order field to keep with the alphabetical order. You will need to view the list of offers to determine the appropriate Order attribute to assign. You will then need to update all the subsequent offers so they continue with the appropriate order.
7. Hit Publish.
III - Add new profile to Meet the Team landing page
This content will need to be added manually and does not pull from other areas on the site, like the homepage or staff profile pages. You'll need to copy/paste the following code into the appropriate area and update it with the new staff member's information.
Stage location: http://stage.scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/
Production location: http://scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/