Precision Medicine Initiative for Commercialization (PreMIC) Jr. Commercial Translation Associate
Supports commercial translation of projects within the Precision Medicine Initiative for Commercialization (PreMIC)
PhD Candidate in Integrative Systems Biology
Neurobiology of Disease Researcher
Department of Pediatrics - Division of Neurology, UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
Education and Experience
Tyler is a PhD student in the Integrative System Biology (ISB) program at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. His dissertation research focuses on classifying a rare novel cerebellar ataxia syndrome in collaboration with the neurogenetics clinic at the UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. He plans to develop and test novel therapeutic interventions for these patients.
Tyler is also a successfully-funded grant writer and has extensive experience in scientific consultation and communication. He has worked as a consultant and expert liaison where he established connections with scientific experts for patent matters, as well as with multiple stakeholders associated with both clinical and scientific disciplinaries. His current studies in translational research prompted him to get involved with sciVelo and support the commercial translation of health sciences research to market-ready solutions for patient care through PreMIC.
Ph.D., Integrative Systems Biology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, expected 2023
B.S., Biochemistry, Dakota Wesleyan University, 2018
PhD Candidate, University of Pittsburgh Supervisor: Dr. Udai Pandey
Investigated the underlying genetic mechanisms of the neurodegenerative disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), as well as identified a novel genetic modifier of the disease that may lead to therapeutic advancements for patients with ALS.
Identified, classified, and described a novel and unreported rare neurological disorder among 20 different patient families harboring mutations in the same gene.
Undergraduate Researcher, Dakota Wesleyan University Supervisor: Dr. Paula Mazzer
Investigated the link between urban environments and neurodegenerative diseases
Studied the ability of urban dust and diesel exhaust particulate matter to induce cytotoxicity and oxidative stress in murine astrocyte cells.
Commercial Translation Experience
Fourth River Solutions
Marketing Liasion and Consultant
Gained valuable experience in the techniques necessary for commercialization of life sciences companies, such as market research, competitor analysis, customer discovery, and product development.
Specifically assessed market size, the feasibility of market entry, and conducted customer discovery interviews with 25 medical experts in the multiple sclerosis market for a local start-up medical device company.
Below are the three areas you need to edit in order to place a new staff profile on the homepage, in the staff profile landing page, and the full staff bio page. These instructions are hidden and will not show up on the public profile page. You can, however, delete this box when you no longer need these instructions.
I - Create a new Staff Profile page
1. Go to Posts and click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name and degrees in the “Enter Title Here” field
3. Scroll down to the Muffin Builder section
4. Click on "Templates"
5. Select: "New Staff Profile Template"
6. Select: "REPLACE current builder content"
7. Click: "Use Template"
8. Update content within each Item accordingly. Anything within (parenthesizes) should be updated.
9. Scroll to the LAYOUT section and choose the following options to maintain the appearance of the page and navigation:
a. Switch "Hide The Content" button to ON
b. For Layout, choose "Right Sidebar"
c. For Sidebar, select "Meet Our Translators"
10. Under Categories, choose the appropriate staff role.
11. Click Publish when finished.
II - Add new Offer to appear on "Meet the Team" on homepage
1. Under "Offer", click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name in the “Enter Title Here” field.
3. Copy/paste the content from the Body Copy area of another offer into this offer and update accordingly. This will guarantee you get the same look and feel.
4. Choose the appropriate category based on job title.
5. Add the person’s headshot under “Featured Image” and make sure the background is transparent (.png)
6. Update the Post Attribute Order field to keep with the alphabetical order. You will need to view the list of offers to determine the appropriate Order attribute to assign. You will then need to update all the subsequent offers so they continue with the appropriate order.
7. Hit Publish.
III - Add new profile to Meet the Team landing page
This content will need to be added manually and does not pull from other areas on the site, like the homepage or staff profile pages. You'll need to copy/paste the following code into the appropriate area and update it with the new staff member's information.
Stage location: http://stage.scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/
Production location: http://scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/